Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Everybody can be great, because everybody can serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.” Through service to others, we can transform lives and make a profound impact on those most in need of support. In uplifting the vulnerable, we uplift the whole of our communities, bringing us one step closer to a more equitable society for all. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. has inspired millions across the globe through his legacy of social justice and equity. And there is no better way to celebrate the life of Dr. King than a day spent devoted to serving others.
On Monday, January 15th, you are invited to join Mercer County Community College for an MLK Day of Service in honor of the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King. This inspiring day of giving will be hosted at MCCC’s James Kerney Campus, located at 102 N Broad St, Trenton, NJ 08608. MCCC students, alumni, and members of the community are all welcome to do their part and get involved. If you are interested in attending, you can register here: Register – MLK Day of Service. Upon registration, you will have the opportunity to choose from a number of service projects, including:
- Sock Drive – Collecting men’s white crew or tube socks for clients of the Trenton Area Soup Kitchen (TASK). The mission of TASK is to feed those who are hungry in the Trenton Area and offer programs to encourage self-sufficiency and improve the quality of life of its patrons.
- Utensil Wrap Up and Bag Lunches – TASK –Peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches, juice box, dessert
- Community Clean Up – MLK Park/City Streets
- Trenton Hall Garden – Building raised beds for the MCCC Vegetable garden. This project will provide fresh produce to supplement the colleges’ food pantry.
- Kidspack 2.0 – this project will provide snack (granola bars, fruit and juice) to the Street Teams for Jan. 16th walk home.
- Blessing Bags – Rescue Mission and Womanspace – provide hygiene bags for clients.
Guests can register the morning of from 8am to 9am at the JKC Front Lobby. Prior to the service projects, guests can enjoy opening remarks in Kerney Hall. Upon completion of the service projects, you are invited to stay for lunch provided by the MCCC Foundation, as well as a Service Celebration Performance. The performance will begin at 1:30pm at Trenton Hall, located at 137 N Broad St, Trenton, NJ 08608.
Each and every one of us can be inspired by the legacy of Dr. King, and we can begin to emulate his work by placing service at the core of our lives. So this year, when Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day rolls around, rather than treating it as a day off, may we use this day as a catalyst to be the change we wish to see in the world. Volunteers are needed to help bring these incredible service projects to life, so be sure to enroll now and be a part of something greater this MLK Day.
Powered by WPeMatico