Trenton is a diverse community that is bursting at the seems with culture, vibrance, and life. What makes our community special isn’t just the rich history or the iconic sites and sounds. What makes our community so special is the thousands of people from all walks of life who have made this place their home. Residents of Trenton come from all over the world, reflecting a beautiful mosaic of global culture and life. And here in Trenton, when it comes to uplifting our beautiful global community, we certainly know how to celebrate!
All throughout the days ahead, residents of Mercer County will have the opportunity to enjoy weeklong celebrations commemorating Puerto Rico Week. As a vibrant, industrious people, these events help to honor the impact this incredible impact the Puerto Rican community has had on the Capital City and beyond. Read on for more information regarding the exciting calendar of upcoming events:
- Puerto Rican Flag Raising Ceremony (Monday, July 31st, 5pm): Join fellow residents at Trenton City Hall (319 East State St., Trenton, NJ 08608) for a ceremonial raising of the Puerto Rican flag. Following the ceremony, guests are invited to a special reception immediately following. The reception will be held at 200 North Broad St., Trenton, NJ 08608. At the reception, guests will have the opportunity to view the Trenton Puerto Rican Community and Friends Organization’s latest exhibit, “Galeria del Barrio: Honoring the Journey of the Trenton Puerto Rican Parade.”
- Free Hot Meal (Wednesday, August 2nd, 5pm): If you or a loved one are in need of a hot meal, the Trenton Puerto Rican Community and Friends Organization has you covered. Convening at the Trenton Transit Train Station (72 S Clinton Ave, Trenton, NJ 08609). A true act of generosity, this event will no doubt be a blessing to individuals all throughout the Trenton community.
- Mercer County Concert Series (Friday, August 4th, 6pm): Kick off your weekend with the island sounds of José Tabares and Pedro “Pocholo” Segundo y Sus Boricua Legends. The concert will be held at the Mercer County Park Festival Grounds, located at 1638 Old Trenton Road, West Windsor NJ.
- Movie Night (Saturday, August 5th, 7pm): Gather the whole family for a movie night in the Capital City! This evening’s selection will be “Vivo”, an animated family film which follows a music-loving kinkajou who embarks on the journey of a lifetime to deliver a song to a long-lost friend. This event is free to attend, and snacks and refreshments will be provided. This evening of film under the stars will be held at South Riverwalk Park, located at John Fitch Way, Trenton, NJ 08611.
- Puerto Rican Parade and Festival (Sunday, August 6th, 12pm): This week-long fun will conclude with the grand finale, the annual Trenton Puerto Rican parade and festival! This much-anticipated yearly event will feature dazzling floats, music, and joy to cover every corner of the Capital City. The parade route will kick off at Centre St. towards Broad St., followed by a festival at Mill Hill Park (East Front Street, S Broad St, Trenton, NJ 08608). This beloved celebration only happens once a year, so be sure to come out for a day full of fun!
Regardless of your own cultural background, we can all appreciate and learn from the incredible history and heritage of the Puerto Rican community. All are welcome to be a part of the fun, to be sure to be a part of this weeklong celebration!
Powered by WPeMatico