Ownership of electric vehicles (EVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles is growing by the year, and with an eye toward that trend, Mercer County is committed to the inclusion of sustainable practices such as the support of EVs. To meet the growing need for vehicle charging stations, Mercer County Executive Brian M. Hughes announces that Mercer County has been awarded a grant of $88,000 to install EV charging stations at close to a dozen county-owned locations.
The funding comes through the N.J. Department of Environmental Protection’s Pay$ to Plug In Program, which was designed to expand the state’s growing network of electric vehicle infrastructure, allowing residents, businesses and government agencies to purchase and drive electric vehicles.
Hughes said, “Studies show that range anxiety, the fear that the car will somehow run out of power, is a fear that keeps consumers from investing in electric vehicles, and our goal is to expand the opportunities to charge a vehicle and further educate consumers on the environmental benefits of gasoline alternatives.”
The transportation sector accounts for 46 percent of the New Jersey’s net greenhouse gas emissions, making it the largest emissions source in the state, according to drivegreen.nj.gov. By installing EV charging stations on county property, Mercer County can help to slow climate change and reduce air pollution while providing an essential service for the growing number of EV drivers in the region, Mr. Hughes added. Additionally, the number of EVs will likely increase due to the initiatives from the New Jersey State government to promote the purchasing of electric vehicles.
On recommendation of the Mercer County Planning Department, the new charging stations will be installed at:
- Mercer County Administration Building, 640 South Broad St., Trenton
- Mercer Office Park, 1440 Parkside Ave, Ewing
- Hopewell Valley Golf Course, 114 Pennington-Hopewell Road, Hopewell
- Mercer County Improvement Authority, 80 Hamilton Ave., Trenton
- Mercer County Boathouse, 334 South Post Road, West Windsor
- Mercer Oaks Golf Course, 725 Village Road West, West Windsor
- Mountain View Golf Course, 850 Bear Tavern Road, Ewing
- Princeton Country Club, Wheeler Way, West Windsor
- Mercer Meadows (Hunt House), 197 Blackwell Road, Pennington
- Mercer County Technical Schools Assunpink Center, 1085 Old Trenton Road, Hamilton
- Mercer County Technical Schools Sypek Center, 129 Bull Run Road, Ewing
It Pay$ to Plug In provides grants to purchase, install and maintain EV charging stations in New Jersey. Eligible costs include those necessary for and directly related to, the acquisition, installation, operation and maintenance of new EV charging stations.
Powered by WPeMatico