New Jersey’s Section 8 Waitlist to Reopen Starting January 17th
Of all of life’s basic necessities, housing is undoubtedly one of the most essential. Securing safe, warm housing provides families with a place of respite and relaxation. However, for families who struggle with housing costs, securing a stable place to live can quickly become a significant source of stress. During a time of widespread economic turmoil and rising costs, many families find themselves wondering how they can make ends meet. Thankfully, through programs like Section 8, assistance is available to assure that every New Jerseyan has a place to call home.
Starting on January 17th through February 3rd, the State of New Jersey will be opening the waitlist for Section 8 vouchers. Section 8 is a federally-funded program which provides housing cost subsidies for low-income families. Section 8 recipients will not be expected to use more than 30% of their total income towards housing, while the government will subsidize the remaining 70% of housing costs.
Pre-applications are available online from 9am-5pm here: Pre-application – Section 8. Paper applications are typically not accepted unless approved by DCA on a case-by-case basis. Applications are available in over 90 languages. If you are disabled and have a reasonable accommodation request, the DCA is available to assist. If accommodations are needed, an individual can call DCA Customer Service Unit at 609-292-4080, Option 9 during the hours of 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM seven days a week, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org during the enrollment period.
In order to qualify for Section 8, applicants must be at least 18 years or older or an emancipated minor, earn less then their county’s income limits, and have access to an email address. Some of the required application details include names, Social Security details, birth dates, and income details. Income includes but is not limited to child support, assistance programs, Social Security, unemployment, pensions, etc. Specific details regarding each county’s income limits are available here: Income Limits – Section 8. The waitlist does also currently employee the following preferences for for admission to the waiting list: Veterans, Homeless, Disabled, Domestic Violence, and Local Residents
Once all applications have been received, the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs will use a random lottery selection to select recipients. Approximately 20,000 families should expect to be selected through this process. Winners will be notified upon selection, and applicants can also check their status online starting on February 24th. If selected, your profile will reflect an “active” status. If you were not selected, your profile will be marked as “inactive”.
New Jersey is home to one of the largest Section 8 programs in the nation, serving thousands of NJ families each year. In additional to Section 8, New Jersey also offers a variety of other housing services and assistance programs, available here: Housing Assistance – DCA. The Division of Housing and Community Resources provides New Jerseyans with powerful tools and resources to assure that living a happy, healthy life is affordable in the Garden State. Section 8 continues to transform lives every day, and gives families in need the opportunity to secure safe, decent housing.
If you have any questions regarding the program, please contact the Department of Community Affairs online here: DCA – Contact Us. An FAQ for Section 8 Applicants is also available here: Section 8 – FAQ. Do not miss this wonderful opportunity, apply today!
Powered by WPeMatico